Friday, October 28, 2005

I found my thrill on Blueberry Hill

Gave a lift to Heather today and, when we arrived, I saw a notice on the shed door saying our neighbour, Ian, had died. It was a shock to us both even though we knew he was ill. His plot has been neglected all summer and I wonder what will happen to it now. It is sad to think of all the work he put in and the sense of disorder that so quickly appears. Couldn't help thinking how all the weeds on his plot were going to seed over ours.

Planted out three blueberry bushes. Tricky to find the right location and ended up digging up masses of comfrey to accommodate them. Also dug up a bucket of bindweed. It's a real nuisance on our plot. Finished digging a bed with newly planted currant bushes.

Made a mental note to sort out the raspberries at some point, which includes making a stronger framework to support them. Also need to finish painting the shed and making it watertight.
Got given tons of apples, some russets, some an unknown variety. I've got more apples than I know what to do with but was grateful nonetheless.

Lacking my usual energy today so couldn't be bothered with the weekly feed with liquid manure. Heather and I chatted for a bit but we both got chilly standing around and I decided to go at about 5pm. The days are going to be so short from now on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home